If you’re on the hunt for a new roommate, you know it can be tough to find the perfect one. You want someone reliable, responsible, and compatible with your lifestyle. How can you make sure that you find the best possible roommate for you? Here are some tips and tricks to help you out!
- Define what you’re seeking in a roommate. Make a list of qualities that are important to you and use it as a screening tool when you’re talking to potential candidates. Don’t forget to include any deal-breakers (things that would make you unhappy), and make it a point to ask about them when you conduct interviews. While you may have an ideal roommate in mind, it’s also vital to stay as realistic as possible. Setting your standards too high could make it exceptionally difficult to find a new roommate.
- Scan your contact list. You most likely know more people than you realize who might be searching for a roommate. Consequently, a great place to begin is with your list of contacts. Scan your list and see if you already know someone who might make a wonderful roommate. Then reach out and ask them! Letting people know that you are searching for a roommate could end up locating someone who would be a perfect fit for your lifestyle.
- Ask friends and family. If you don’t know anyone looking for a roommate, that is totally fine! Just ask your friends and family if they know anyone who might be interested. Chances are, someone you know knows someone looking for a place to live. What is more, since your friend or family member also knows you, they might be able to recommend someone you would get along with really well.
- Use social media. To widen your search, consider using online resources like Facebook groups, Craigslist, and Reddit to tell everyone that you’re looking for a roommate. You can also post a status update on your own profile or ask if anyone who follows you might know someone. Be clear about what you’re looking for, and prevent giving out too much personal information.
- Try a roommate locating service. If you’re trying to find a roommate on your own, there are services offered that may assist you. These services will match you with potential roommates based on your preferences and lifestyle. Various services operate in different ways, and there may be fees involved. Don’t forget to research any service thoroughly before you sign up.
- Choose the roommate that is the best fit for you and your lifestyle. After you’ve spoken to a few potential roommates and checked out their references and rental history, it’s time to make your selection! If you’re unable to decide between more than one great option, go with your gut feeling and choose the person you think would best fit you and your lifestyle.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.